Single-source an item

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 20
edited March 2019 in

Jama does not currently allow for multiple items to converge on a downstream item and then branch off two levels downstream, each toward their own specific paths.

For example if I have source items 1a, 1b, and 1c and each of them has 2a downstream, and if 2a has 3a, 3b, and 3c downstream.

I want 1a>2a>3a, 1b>2a>3b, and 1c>2a>3c, but instead, I get 1a>2a>3a+3b+3c, 1b>2a>3a+3b+3c, 1c>2a>3a+3b+3c.

Although we know 3a, b, and c aren't related, traceability shows them all tracing to 2a, which makes them look as if they're all downstream from a single path, but in this situation, they should be three separate traces instead of a clump of 3rd level downstream items.

To get this how we want it now, we'd have to make 2 extra 2a items (although they'd each have their own unique IDs) so all of their paths are unique.

We would like a feature that will allow us to connect 1a to 3a through the intermediate steps without having to make extra 2a items or having these additional branches. We would like to have item 2a be recognized as three unique items (and in turn would limit introducing errors by having to update three 2a items each time a change occurred).

Thanks to Kimberly Embry from Jama for helping us refine this request.