Generate default Excel export to XLSX

Options
Vladimir Cech
Vladimir Cech Member Posts: 183
edited March 2020 in
Hello Jama,
Please change the output format for Excel default template from XLS to XLSX. It will allow to generate more than 65K item to the file.

Thank you
Vlada

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 49
    edited March 2020
    Options
    +1

--

Sven Schmidberger

Compliance Officer

------Original Message------

Hello Jama,
    Please change the output format for Excel default template from XLS to XLSX. It will allow to generate more than 65K item to the file.

Thank you
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited February 2022
    Options
    As Jama does not want to allow to export more than 65K items (original XLS limit) it would be good if Jama can at least change the error message saying that "export limit has been reached". Not the error like "there was an error see the serve log". When you are on Cloud you cannot reach this log...
    Vlada
  • Katie Huckett
    Katie Huckett Jama Staff, Product Manager Moderator Posts: 19
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hello @Vladimir Cech
    Thank you for sharing your feedback on the community. I would like to ask a few clarifying questions if that is okay?

For the large data set you are attempting to export, would you mind sharing the use cases for what you will be doing with the data once exported?

For example, are you looking to run trend or analytical charts/calculations in Excel directly that you cannot do in Jama? Or will you be using the export to import the data into another tool for analysis or another purpose? This may help us determine other options for consideration. 

I'm digging a bit internally around the 65k limit - it might be a limitation not to the file type, but elsewhere - I'll come back and update once I have more information within the next couple of days.

I would agree that it is worth looking into updating the error message that you receive in this example. We do have a roadmap project starting up in the next few months, where we can evaluate changing the error. 

I look forward to hearing your use cases for the exported data and please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this area.
    Katie Huckett
    Senior Product Manager
    Jama Software
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hello Katie,
    Thank you for your response.

For the use case see https://support.jamasoftware.com/hc/en-us/requests/62372.

It seems that everything is wrong as we are not easily able to create reports for cloud easily (if the limit is not there as well). It means we are looking for easy workaround. The possibility to export larger data set was confirmed by TAM last year and for that he changed the Excel format from XLS to XLSX. At least this was stated.

Regarding to the roadmap I do not believe in any Jama roadmap. Usually when there is a roadmap provided (or even a concrete fix is agreed) it takes longer than scheduled. Home many features were promised to us ant they are not available till now, or how long it lasted to get to at least partial solution. Also, reaction here in the Community are weak, if any. E.g. The idea to allow export larger data set was entered in 2020 (nearly 2 year back) and if I would not faced the problem again and have not post it here again nobody would take care about it.

It brings me again to the thinking Why customers even should provide ideas to Jama?!
    Vlada
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Jama admitted that there is a defect in Jama Connect that does not allow to generate large data set to Excel although it is XLSX. Waiting for defect fix date.
    Vlada
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I got a defect number SOS-DEF-5769 but not ETA.
    Vlada
  • Emerald Ressler
    Emerald Ressler Jama Staff, Robotics Solution, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI), Jama Validation Kit (JVK) + Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 1
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi Vlada,

I wanted to let you know I'll be following up with you offline when more information on this defect is available.

Kind Regards,
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Emerald,
    Please follow up here as well. After nearly 2 years Jama recognized that required feature is in fact a bug in Jama that does not allow to generate large reports. I would say that also other users/customers will appreciate if information is shared in the community / Idea Portal.

At least Jama will show that it really values customers' feedback. Not like till now that there was no or very poor feedback, there were promises, investigation, required feedback but and serious issues were not treated for months or years (e.g. unlocking items, SSO auto account creation/account duplication, archival instance of Jama, possibility to upload reports to Jama Cloud directly by users not through Jama support, license utilization report)

Vlada
  • Dineshkumar Ponnusamy
    Dineshkumar Ponnusamy Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Any updates on this feature?
    Dineshkumar
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Still no fix date provided by Jama.
    Vlada
  • Dimitrios Pananakis
    Dimitrios Pananakis Member, Jama Validation Kit (JVK) + Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 49
    edited March 2022
    Options
    We also need the fix! Jama, please provide an ETA! This is beyond frustrating-------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-09-2022 00:35
    Subject: Generate default Excel export to XLSX

• Vladimir Cech
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hello Jama,
    based on responses from other customers this export limit is something what concerns also other users. Not that there are no request from other customers for this functionality.
    Vlada
  • BertrandLechevalier
    BertrandLechevalier Member, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI) Posts: 4
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi everyone

I just had an issue with this non existing XLSX format. I am using the export of a coverage matrix into a powerQuery.
    When PowerQuery reads the XLS files, it tuncates the cells's text to 255 characters.
    Of course, I have plenty cells containing more than 255c.
    The consequence is that the traca matrix I build into PowerQuery is not complete.
    I have a workaround by saving the export file in XLSX format.
    I would appreciate to have it directly in JAMA.
    JAMA has been able to add the XLSX format in the reports. I would love to have it in the coverage export as well

------------------------------
    Bertrand Lechevalier
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-17-2022 05:05

Hello Jama,
    based on responses from other customers this export limit is something what concerns also other users. Not that there are no request from other customers for this functionality.

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-17-2022 03:10

We also need the fix! Jama, please provide an ETA! This is beyond frustrating
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-09-2022 00:35

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-08-2022 08:47

Any updates on this feature?

Dineshkumar Ponnusamy
    VMS Inc.,
    UT

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-23-2022 11:42

Hi Vlada,

I wanted to let you know I'll be following up with you offline when more information on this defect is available.

Kind Regards,

Emerald Ressler
    Technical Account Manager
    Jama Software

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-22-2022 21:46

I got a defect number SOS-DEF-5769 but not ETA.

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-17-2022 22:44

Jama admitted that there is a defect in Jama Connect that does not allow to generate large data set to Excel although it is XLSX. Waiting for defect fix date.

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-01-2022 22:33

Hello Katie,
    Thank you for your response.

For the use case see https://support.jamasoftware.com/hc/en-us/requests/62372.

It seems that everything is wrong as we are not easily able to create reports for cloud easily (if the limit is not there as well). It means we are looking for easy workaround. The possibility to export larger data set was confirmed by TAM last year and for that he changed the Excel format from XLS to XLSX. At least this was stated.

Regarding to the roadmap I do not believe in any Jama roadmap. Usually when there is a roadmap provided (or even a concrete fix is agreed) it takes longer than scheduled. Home many features were promised to us ant they are not available till now, or how long it lasted to get to at least partial solution. Also, reaction here in the Community are weak, if any. E.g. The idea to allow export larger data set was entered in 2020 (nearly 2 year back) and if I would not faced the problem again and have not post it here again nobody would take care about it.

It brings me again to the thinking Why customers even should provide ideas to Jama?!

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-01-2022 15:07

Hello @Vladimir Cech
    Thank you for sharing your feedback on the community. I would like to ask a few clarifying questions if that is okay?

For the large data set you are attempting to export, would you mind sharing the use cases for what you will be doing with the data once exported?

For example, are you looking to run trend or analytical charts/calculations in Excel directly that you cannot do in Jama? Or will you be using the export to import the data into another tool for analysis or another purpose? This may help us determine other options for consideration.

I'm digging a bit internally around the 65k limit - it might be a limitation not to the file type, but elsewhere - I'll come back and update once I have more information within the next couple of days.

I would agree that it is worth looking into updating the error message that you receive in this example. We do have a roadmap project starting up in the next few months, where we can evaluate changing the error.

I look forward to hearing your use cases for the exported data and please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this area.

Katie Huckett
    Senior Product Manager
    Jama Software
    VT

Original Message:
    Sent: 01-31-2022 22:20

As Jama does not want to allow to export more than 65K items (original XLS limit) it would be good if Jama can at least change the error message saying that "export limit has been reached". Not the error like "there was an error see the serve log". When you are on Cloud you cannot reach this log...

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-14-2020 04:46

+1

--

Sven Schmidberger

Compliance Officer

Original Message------

Hello Jama,

Thank you

Vlada