import requirements from pdf files

Hello,
I've often requirements in pdf files put by customers on their projects. It's a rule choose by customers. Do you have a feature on the JAMA roadmap to import pdf files? And when is it published? My workaround is ReqMan, but with additional effort and outside of JAMA.

Comments

• @Folkert, we do not currently have the ability to import via PDF planned.
  • Luigi Salce
    edited April 2018
    I too would like to request this. We have lots of PDF from vendors that constitute a product definition. 

Today, in order to get this into Jama, they are converting to Word and then importing. This creates a ton of overhead with configuring heading types and then Jama often fails to manage the images and tables that are in the word document, from the converted PDF. 

It would be very helpful if Jama could absorb a table of contents found in these types of documents, then use that to define the structure that should be created in Jama.
  • Olivia Kirk
    edited April 2021
    Hello,

I would also find this feature beneficial. This discussion was started a few years ago, @Kristina do you know if a solution to this has been created since this tread started?

Thank you
  • Chloe Elliott
    Chloe Elliott Product Team
    edited April 2021
    Hi Olivia! @Olivia

We have a new module on the community called Ideation to log all of these ideas from our customers! I would invite you to take a look there and see if this has already been entered in there. If so, you can partake in our ideation process and vote on it.

Best,
  • Daniel March
    edited April 2021

You often can open "Word Processor style" PDFs in Microsoft Word and then do a "Save As" to .doc or .docx format, which then allows the document to be easily imported into Jama. The key is to ensure that all the heading styles are set.

If you have a PDF that came from say a CAD program then this will not work.

Daniel
  • Patrick Garman
    edited October 2021
    An option for PDFs that are not 'word processor style' is to convert the PDF to a high resolution image and then embed in a rich text field.  The content cannot be edited in this method, but works for PDFs with diagrams, charts, or tables which don't always convert well to docx.