Filter "has parent"

I would like to be able to include filter criteria for whether an item has a parent.  The functionality already exists for children, but I do not see the ability to search for items with parents:
If it helps, this would be used in cases where relationships are not required because an item could either be a decomposition OR it needs a certain relationship.  For example, our requirements need a parent requirement (i.e. the parent filter) OR a link to a function OR a link to a constraint, so such a filter could identify requirements that are missing relationships inclusive of the decomposition option which is not reflected with only schema/relationships.
LC

Comments

• I don't understand the need for has parent. Each Item except a set has a parent. Searching for has parent would not change the result.
  • Lauren Cordova
    edited July 2017
    Hi @Harald,

Thanks for the clarification.  In the scenario I described I would not want the set to be considered a parent.  I want to be able to filter for all requirements where "Has parent" is false (meaning the only "parent" is the set and not another requirement) and also no upstream function exists, so I would need some filter that supports looking from a requirement to see if there is a requirement above it, not just a set of requirements.  Because there is not a relationship type that goes from requirement to child requirement I cannot do this except to look for parents, but I want the child returned so I can't use the "Has children" filter because that would only return the parent.  Please see the detailed example I included above for additional context, and let me know if you have any other questions.

------------------------------
    LC
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 07-24-2017 13:57
    Subject: Filter "has parent"

I don't understand the need for has parent. Each Item except a set has a parent. Searching for has parent would not change the result.

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Frequentis AG
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 07-18-2017 13:52
    Subject: Filter "has parent"

I would like to be able to include filter criteria for whether an item has a parent.  The functionality already exists for children, but I do not see the ability to search for items with parents:
    If it helps, this would be used in cases where relationships are not required because an item could either be a decomposition OR it needs a certain relationship.  For example, our requirements need a parent requirement (i.e. the parent filter) OR a link to a function OR a link to a constraint, so such a filter could identify requirements that are missing relationships inclusive of the decomposition option which is not reflected with only schema/relationships.

LC

LC
  • Hi Lauren,

You want the elements having no children, so you need a criteria "has no children". This should be covered by "has children" "is false".

Harald
  • @Harald,
    Thanks for your feedback.  Here is more detail on my use case that will perhaps make the request more clear because I believe we do need the "Has parent" filter option.  Let's say there is a set of functional requirements like this:
    Functional RequirementsOur schema does not mandate a link from a function to a requirement because decomposed requirements (i.e. children requirements) may not need a functional link if the parent has one.  If there are links to functions from the requirements like this:
    Function links to requirementsThen I want a filter than returns only REQ-17 because that one does not have a requirement parent OR a function link.  This requirement should be suspect, but the schema won't pick it up because we don't want to mandate the function to requirement link since REQ-18 and REQ-19 don't need functional links.  I believe a filter that looks for "Has parent" is false AND no link to a function exists would solve this need.

Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions or questions.
    LC
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    edited July 2017
    @Lauren

Understood, I have a workaround, made it with downstreams, but should make no difference, the screenshot should explain it.

There is a side effect if you change the structure the heading might change and you have to update the filter.

Harald
  • @Harald, I was able to filter to only the requirement in my example with the filters you suggested.  It would still be nice for Jama to add more filter options such as "Has parent" so it's not hard-coded as you pointed out, but this will work in the mean time.  Thank you!
    LC
  • Päivi Kaste
    edited June 2019
    We have also need for the filter option 'has parent'. For some of the item types we have parent item type and child item types and we would like have filter that lists all child items regardless of the location.