Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Recommended way of sharing common test steps among many testcases

• 1.  Recommended way of sharing common test steps among many testcases

Posted 12-18-2019 09:19
    Hi,
    We are just now beginning to appreciate the utility value of jama Testcases, testruns and other test management features. We are currently planning to convert some of the testcases in word documents to Jama testcases.

One of the issues that we are facing is how to share common test steps among multiple testcases. We often have a set of 10 setup steps that is the same for multiple testcases. I searched the community forum for ideas and it was not clear to me that I had a good answer. (Please feel free to point me to any other existing posts that may answer this).

Do you have a recommended method for doing it? I'm not that familiar with usecases, but is there any utility value in using those as testcases?

------------------------------
    Jose Robins
    Sandel Avionics Inc.

• 2.  RE: Recommended way of sharing common test steps among many testcases

Posted 12-18-2019 15:48
    Hi Jose,
    We have exactly the same issue and I haven't found a solution that meets all of our needs. I have mentioned it to our account manager and others at Jama. Hopefully it will be included in a future release.

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA United States

• 3.  RE: Recommended way of sharing common test steps among many testcases

Posted 12-19-2019 08:02
    Jose:

Take a look at the Duplicate or Reuse functionality. Duplicate has the ability to make a copy item with the Test Steps (its also a great deal simpler than the more robust Reuse). Take a look at this link in the user guide, would any of these functions help with your workflow?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 4.  RE: Recommended way of sharing common test steps among many testcases

Posted 12-20-2019 08:10
    Hi Chloe,
    Thanks for the suggestion.  This will partially solve the issue. Only part of the testcase (the setup part) steps are common between various testcases. e.g. The first 10 steps to initialize a device for two testcases may be common after which the 2 testcases will have different steps - maybe 10 unique steps more. Using the duplicate capability, the sequence of operations would be.
    1. Create the first test case with the 10 common steps and the 10 custom steps unique to testcase1
    2. Duplicate testcase 1 to create testcase2
    3. Edit testcase2 to delete all but the first 10 common steps and then add the 10 unique steps for testcase 2
    This would work and the duplicate functionality would ease the creation of testcase2. The problem would be maintainability. Every time the initialization sequence changes, all the testcases would need to be separately modified to reflect the new set of common steps.

One thing I was considering was possibly using a link or a trace to a common set of steps. Is there a good way to put a link to a common set of steps or put a trace to a common set of steps in a testcase which would be visible when you run the testcase from within Jama.

Jose Robins
    Sandel Avionics Inc.

• 5.  RE: Recommended way of sharing common test steps among many testcases

Posted 12-20-2019 10:08
    Jose:

Sounds like you could benefit from making a Template Library (of possible Test Cases) Component within your project. You could then default to Reusing (which has settings allowing you to Relate and Sync - as needed) from the template test cases within your Template Library. Take a look at the link above under the Library/Catalog heading. If this is something just your project is using, you can make your Library live in your project.

But, you think your whole instance could use a stand alone Template Project in general, I would consider making a separate project (one source of truth) for all your templates. Having a separate project for this purpose has many benefits, one of which is being able to better control who has permissions to edit the templates themselves.

Jose, your thoughts?

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 6.  RE: Recommended way of sharing common test steps among many testcases

Posted 01-02-2020 10:15
    Hi Chloe,

Thank you for your suggestion(s). With the caveat that I have not used the reuse functionality in Jama much, I looked into whether and how it could help with my use case. I created a simple example to try out with the following steps
    1.  Create a Jama test case in a project with a few steps. This will mimic the initialization sequence which are shared between multiple testcases
    2. Right click on the item and select 'Reuse item(s)' and 'copy' it into another project. The original and the new copy share the same Global IDs
    3. Modify the new testcase (the actual testcase) to have additional steps to mimic additional teststeps needed after initialization
    4. Modify the original testcase (the initialization sequence) to have a slightly different step to mimic an initialization test step which may have changed
    5. Now if I do a comparison between the two using the synchronized items pane, I can see the difference between the two testcases, by clicking on the out of sync button.
    I could potentially use this comparison to manually modify the downstream testcase. The reuse sync functionality requires you to sync all the steps from one to the other. Individual steps cannot be synchronized. This is why the editing and copying of the changed teststep from the initial testcase has to be done manually. The comparison in the synchronized window pane does help me with knowing what the differences are. But synchronization only partially helps me in this case - i.e. to get a view of the differences between the original item and the copied item.

So based on what I know so far:
    • I could potentially use the reuse functionality to show the difference between what may have changed in the common set of steps with a downstream testcase.  
    • I would then have to manually update the test steps in the copied testcase(s) to reflect changes in the teststeps of the original common testcase
    • So the reuse functionality will help me partially with this situation.

Jose Robins
    Sandel Avionics Inc.

• 7.  RE: Recommended way of sharing common test steps among many testcases

Posted 05-14-2020 07:13
    Hi, what if the Admin could create custom Steps fields instead of defining the Item as Jama Test Case.
    A first synchronized custom steps field would be used for the common initialization procedure, a second non-sync custom steps field would be used for test specific steps. Related Test Run items would concatenate all defined steps.
    Similar suggestions was done for Test Runs definition and more customization of the Steps field would be appreciated: Please increase the Test Run customizability! (summary at post 16).

Christian Binard
    ON semiconductor
    Belgium

• 8.  RE: Recommended way of sharing common test steps among many testcases

Posted 05-20-2020 12:05
    Christian:

This is an intriguing way to redistribute the Steps. Would take some untangling... Have you seen our new Ideation module? I know that the thread you mentioned qualified for me to administratively move it over but, this idea should be on its own. I hope you post it and categorize it under "Test" and "Item Management".

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR