Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Item of Type field not cleared on cross-project Reuse

• 1.  Item of Type field not cleared on cross-project Reuse

Posted 03-30-2017 21:59
    Hi,

We are using Jama 8.4.1.

When doing reuse of records from one project to another, the fields which contain values unique to the source project (specifically fields of type release) are cleared out, as expected.  However, it is unclear how Jama intended for fields of type "Item of Type" to behave, as the behavior is conflicting between UI and API.

If a user attempts to edit a field of type "item of type", a selection dialog is presented and only items which exist within the current project and match the intended type may be selected.  There is no option to select an item from a different project to populate this type of field.

If a user wishes to reuse records from one project to a different project and which have the Item of Type field set to a value representing an item in the source project, the value is carried forward into the destination project and the ID and name is displayed.  Another user, who only has access to the target project and does not have access to the source project will (of course) be unable to view the item which is referenced in the Item of Type field when accessing one of the reused items.

While the UI *does not* allow selecting an item from a different project, the REST API (PUT items/{id}) *does* allow specifying a reference to a different project in an Item of Type field.  In fact, the API allows someone with no access to the referenced item to add the reference to the item.  That is, if the user has access to Project A and wants to add a reference in an Item of Type field to a record in Project B where the user has no access, the user may do that through the API.  This is despite the fact that the user cannot get into Project B in order to view the referenced item.  As a result, the user may see the documentKey and Name of an item that he/she should not be able to see.

Preferred behavior is that the Item of Type field is treated in the same way as the release field:
     - If the record is reused into a different project, the field is cleared
     - If a user tries to set, via the API, a reference value to an item that is in a different project, the PUT or POST call should fail

Thanks,
    Mike

------------------------------
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. ~Steven Wright

• 2.  RE: Item of Type field not cleared on cross-project Reuse

Posted 03-31-2017 15:01
    I agree with you, Mike, that it'd make sense for the API call to fail—I am going to check in with Steve and see what kind of work remains to bring Reuse functionality in the API to parity with the GUI. I may or may not then file a bug.

To the other point—that you would expect the Item of Type field to function like the Release field in Reuse operations, due to it being project specific—I'm not sure how that is supposed to behave, so I'll also check on that. I'll let you know when I know something.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Item of Type field not cleared on cross-project Reuse

Posted 03-31-2017 17:18
    Sounds good... thanks Kristina!  8^)

Sponges grow in the ocean ... that *kills* me. I wonder how much deeper the oceans would be if that didn't happen. ~Steven Wright

• 4.  RE: Item of Type field not cleared on cross-project Reuse

Posted 23 days ago
    Any updates here? I still see the same behavior...

Devang Sanghrajka

• 5.  RE: Item of Type field not cleared on cross-project Reuse

Posted 8 days ago
    Hi Devang,

I just wanted to let you know that while we don't have an immediate answer, 
    ​we're looking into this now.  I'll update you with an answer when we get it.

Nick S
    Jama Software