Support

Expand all | Collapse all

"Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Elon08-17-2015 12:23

Harald12-01-2015 11:50

• 1.  "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 16:25
    Almost every single time I hit "Edit" on a defect, the editor opens with the majority of fields missing.  This then can't be closed. the ONLY way to edit a defect is to let this rubbish happen, then close the ENTIRE BROWSER, re-log-in, and immediately go to the same defect and hit "Edit".   This is driving me absolutely insane and I've had to put up with this miserable behaviour since we started using Jama in October 2014.  Continually hoping your annoying random changes each month will fix this issue, but instead you continue to make the product more and more annoying to use (restricted workflows, etc), but not fixing SERIOUS bugs like this.

I've tried using several browsers, but having the most "success", if you can call it that, using Firefox.

This flaw renders the whole Jama offering very close to a category of "unusable" for me.

• 2.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 16:44
    Ian, sorry about your experience. I am not with Jama but can sympathize with your frustratuon. @Krisina with Jama will likely help you directly or ask you to open a support ticket to root cause your issue. My preferred browser is Chrome and sometimes I clear the browser history/cache and re open the web UI. Good luck. Swoo

• 3.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 17:59
    Hi Ian, thanks for visiting the community to share your problem. I agree that coming across this behavior makes Jama practically unusable, so I am sorry you have run into it. Are you receiving an error message, such as "The HTML editor is not ready yet"? It sounds like it might be SOS-BUG-635, but I can't yet confirm that. If you are not seeing an error message, can you attach a screenshot showing the appearance of the "majority of fields missing"? Thanks!

• 4.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:09
    Hi Kristina.  Some months ago, I always used to get the "The HTML editor is not ready yet" error, but now the editor just turns up without editor controls for many of the fields, and can't be closed.   This is happening to everyone in our company, not just me.    Sreenshot attached, with some fields redacted.  Note the missing "description", "Steps to Reproduce" and "Resolution details" fields.   I've not checked for sure that these  are always the same fields that are missing.  When hitting 'Cancel' Jama moans that fields can't be missing, which is just silly.  The only way out of this situation is to close down the entire browser.

S

• 5.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:15
    @Kristina, on my on-premises version of 2015.1 I've also observed "HTM Editor is not ready yet." I'm using Chrome. The work-around is to close the whole browser as Ian has done. I have not been able to duplicate the problem consistently so I have not filed a support/bug ticket yet. The next time it happens to me, I'll be sure to file an official ticket with our company's IT. swoo p.s. I believe all the missing fields are rich-text fields.

• 6.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:21
    For me, this happens 100% guaranteed, every single day, every single defect, until it "decides" to work for a short period, where I can then edit a few defects until it goes wrong again.   It feels like a small miracle when Jama "just works" and I don't have to go through the shutdown-login-find-defect-edit sequence over and over.   I sometimes have to edit a dozen defects a day, and that can take a lot of effort just to get Jama to deign to allow me to edit each one.  I'm on a fast i7 Windows 7 PC, on a 100mbit network connection, so I can't imagine it's any flaw with my system configuration.

• 7.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:22
    Oh wow. That does make for a frustrating experience. It sounds like you are coming across an iteration of SOS-BUG-635, "HTML is not ready yet," which makes rich text fields uneditable (I'm guessing "Description," "Steps to Reproduce" and "Resolution Details" are all rich text fields). Usually that error is always present, though, so it's curious you no longer see it (but instead see the symptoms). On the other hand, there have been many front-end changes, so it's possible that is causing the error to not be thrown.

Do you happen to use the "Remember me" function when you first log in? Some users have reported that if they stop using that function, they no longer run into problems. (Not that I'm suggesting that's a *fix*, but if it prevents you from hitting this wall, it's worth a shot.)

• 8.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:24
    Yes, I do have "Remember me" enabled, so that it is at least mildly quicker to go round the "quit-browser-reconnect" loop ;-)   I'll try it tomorrow with that option disabled.  Thanks.

• 9.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:25
    Hi Kristina, is there a full description of SOS-BUG-635 and its workaround. I like to determine other possible viable work-arounds. I ALWAYS save my authentications to browser cookies. If you cannot sent it to me, please send it my official company rep and tell them that swoo needs to know :-)

• 10.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:32
    I just duplicated the problem. Hum. Let me clearing the cookies setting.

https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1229943/RackMultipart20150701-5409-df3kbb-not_ready_inline.jpg?1435786317" />

• 11.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:43
    I was about to write back to you above that we don't actually have much of a write-up OR workaround for this bug; we have not been able to reproduce it consistently. It just seems like there are some things to contribute to it, but no defined set of steps that always prompts its occurrence.

• 12.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:45
    Kristina, thanks for explaining. That's the reason I have not filed a bug report myself. Perhaps I have too many windows open. By the way, I think I've noticed this on both the on-premises version and also the hosted version--could be my imagination. This is definitely something related to 2015.1 because I don't recall this problem in the past for me.

• 13.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 18:49
    No, it's not your imagination. It has been reported on both on-premises and on hosted.

• 14.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 19:57
    @Kritina, thanks. (Since it's time for a little humor after this long thread--especially that HTML not ready defects have hit me several times this afternoon--yesterday evening I almost imagined that I flew my quadcopter in a circle--but I know my footage and flight log will show otherwise. :-)

• 15.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-01-2015 22:47
    Hi Kristina, I just observed this phenomenon on the hosted version with cookie on. It came and then it's gone. I tried various combinations and sequences of having multiple tabs of my Chrome opening and closing. No sequence can repeat this. Going to turn off cookies and see in the next three days to see what happens. swoo

• 16.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-02-2015 02:11
    Just an idea, but have you tried to add a new item type and duplicate the fields of your item type "Defect". May be, it's an inconsistency in the database which only affects that item type. You may add an item type "Issue" and you this for a while.

Best regards,
    Sebastian

• 17.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-02-2015 02:28
    Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the idea, but I've observed this problem on both hosted sandbox and on-premises 2015.1 on several item types. As long as the item type has at least one rich text field, then this problem will intermittently happen to me 3-10 times a day. I have to close the browser, work a while, but then the problem will come back. Somehow the rich text ckeditor is somehow not active for some cases and will hang the whole Jama web UI. Hopefully Jama will eventually figure out how to fix to problem.

swoo

• 18.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-02-2015 03:00
    Hi Stephen, that workaround might not work for you. But it might work for Ian...

• 19.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-02-2015 03:06
    Hi Sebastian, let's hope something does work for Ian. He is very frustrated. I can totally understand. I think this is not a data source problem. Seems like a client interaction with the ckeditor rich text editor. There are a slew of Google threads that deal with ckeditor ready status. Kristina also said that there seems to be only one known work-around involving not having the browser cookies save authentication info. I'm trying that work-around currently. swoo

• 20.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-02-2015 05:21
    On the face of things, this morning, this work around does appear to have an effect.  However, it also creates its own new problem -- EVERY time I click on an attachment now, I get the login window appearing. :-(

• 21.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-02-2015 13:10
    Oof. I would not expect that to happen. Once you sign in, do you get taken to the attachment/does it download? Are you accessing these attachments from the attachments tab of the defect item, or somewhere else?

• 22.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-02-2015 13:13
    I got a little (never seen before) login popup window, which, once filled-in, allows the download of the attachment to proceed.    These are attachments displayed in the main view with all the other fields.

For what it's worth, I've not had any problem at all with the defect editor all day, once I followed the advice of not checking the "Remember me" button.  It's mildly irritating, but WAY less irritating than having to quit and restart the browser and find the defect again every time I want to edit something, so thanks hugely for that workaround.

• 23.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-06-2015 11:23
    This is what the popup looks like when it happens.  Which isn't actually that often, really.   With Firefox able to remember my login details, it's just a single-click to get past this, which is no big deal.

https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1232536/RackMultipart20150706-9391-fwty94-Capture_inline.PNG?1436192524" />

• 24.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-06-2015 11:27
    This work-around seems to work also for Chrome :-) The occasional pop-up is much easier to deal with than having the stop the browser entirely.

• 25.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-06-2015 13:23
    Ian, that's still unexpected behavior. You should only see that pop-up under the following circumstances:
    1. Your session has timed out (but if you're running a test case, that shouldn't happen)
    2. You have attempted to run different user sessions on the same browser
    3. You have a base URL issue (which couldn't be the case if you're hosted and not using a URL redirect)

If it's not bothering you, it's up to you how to proceed. But if it does become a bother and is regular, we should open a support ticket for deeper digging. Let me know.

• 26.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 07-06-2015 13:32
    Hi Kristina.  It doesn't bother me that much.  It's not actually _every_ time I open an attachment -- I've been trying to see if there's a pattern, but don't see one.  Jama's been much easier to work with since the disabling "Remember Me". :)

• 27.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-05-2015 12:15
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet".

Why am I not able to edit some fields when in the "Edit Item" window and get the error "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" when I am trying to cancel out of it, usually in the morning upon first opening Jama. Issue is fixed only when closing the Jama browser tab and opening a new one.

• 28.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-05-2015 12:16
    Stuart, Swoo was correct in identifying the issue you're encountering, so I've merged your thread with the initial community report of this problem. I'll update this thread when the bug status has been changed.

• 29.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 12:01
    I see this problem too when I'm editing TEST CASES, often the DETAILS field doesn't load.  It's almost unnoticeable so I make my edits and click SAVE AND CLOSE, then it gives me the error.  Occurs almost 50% of the time I open test cases.  

• 30.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 12:13
    Hi Elon,

Welcome to the community.

@Kristina of Jama mentioned this, "Do you happen to use the "Remember me" function when you first log in? Some users have reported that if they stop using that function, they no longer run into problems. (Not that I'm suggesting that's a *fix*, but if it prevents you from hitting this wall, it's worth a shot.)"

This work-around has been working for me. Please give it a try.

swoo

• 31.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 12:15
    I haven't had one single problem since I removed the "Remember me" option.   It's a bit annoying having to log in all the time though.  Especially as Jama's timeouts are so horribly short. :(

• 32.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 12:23
    Hmmm...I'm using a link that no longer requires me to click a login button.  I don't want to post it here for security purposes.  I just click the link on my chrome address bar and it gets me right into jama, no login screen.

• 33.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 12:23
    And thanks!

• 34.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 12:24
    Log out (top right of the screen) then you'll be given the option to log in again.  Uncheck the "remember me" option.  Then you WILL require to click a login button each time :)

• 35.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 12:29
    Hi Ian, 

By the way, you might know this already:

From the User GUide:

hmtoggle_plus1Release Floating Licenses/Session Timeout

Q: How can I adjust the session timeout so that we can free up our floating licenses quicker?

A: By default, session timeout is set to 2 hours for Jama. This default is by customer request as most users like to keep Jama open during the work day and not worry about timing out. The default value can easily be changed by modifying the value in the web.xml file on the server. (see below)

The best approach to maximizing license use is to ask users to "log out" rather than close their browser. This may not be effective so an alternative is to reduce the timeout value.

To modify the session timeout, go to System Properties and edit the Session Timeout property.

This is a one-time only that a system database admin has to do.

Good luck.

swoo

• 36.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 12:36
    BAM!  Unchecked my REMEMBER ME.  

I think our JAMA timeout is 30 minutes, or less, maybe 20, it's pretty quick.  

Ok I'll try this fix for now, thanks everyone, HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

• 37.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 13:10
    Yeah, our server must be 10-15 mins or something.  It's a hosted server, and I'm just a poor lowly user of the system... no way to edit XML files :(

• 38.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 13:21
    Hi Ian,

Every Jama users is a treasured and appreciated person. There is no such thing as a poor and lowly user. :-)

Besides, changing Jama license timeout does not involve hacking XML. It's an official setting that for hosted servers I believe you can file a support ticket. However, you and your company must weight the adv and disadv of license cost, availability vs the timeout inconvenience.  Good luck.

swoo

• 39.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-17-2015 16:03
    @Ian: Swoo's right. If you can so convince your admin, they can always submit a Support ticket to have the timeout changed. The default is 2 hours...it looks like your admin had it lowered to 30 minutes back in December (likely to make floating licenses readily available as Swoo posits). 

• 40.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 08-25-2015 17:33
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I am using Chrome and I am consistently getting no Description selection when I t....

I am using Chrome and I am consistently getting no Description selection when I try to edit an object. 

Here is a screen shot.

When I try to cancel the edit, it has the following message:

I have tried this in Internet Explorer and it seems to work fine.  
    What would be the problem with Chrome that is not happening in Internet Explorer?  

• 41.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 09-17-2015 11:12
    Hi Kristina,

Is this being tracked as a reproducible bug at Jama? If so, do you have the bug ID and a planned release timeline?

We are seeing this issue too but haven't been able to reproduce this consistently.

Thanks,
    Prabal.

• 42.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 09-17-2015 12:52
    Hi Prabal, and yes, this is logged as SOS-BUG-635. Right now there is no release date for a fix. If users experience it, our recommendation is they stop using the "Remember me" checkbox.
    I have added notes to the bug that your organization is experiencing it. I will reply to this thread when I have an update.

• 43.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 09-17-2015 13:47
    Thanks Kristina. Can you outline an exact sequence of steps that'd lead to this behavior?

• 44.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 09-17-2015 16:15
    Prabal, no, I cannot at this point. There seem to be several things at play and we (Support) haven't determined the precise factors. There is definitely correlation to Remember Me (as the problem has ceased for users who uncheck it), but our research has also indicated a .js file might not be loading properly.

• 45.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 09-29-2015 18:28
    I had the "HTML editor not loaded yet" problem when using current versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. The problem did not occur on any of three other machines while logged into JAMA as myself, regardless of which browser I used.

After making those observations, I made the following changes to all three browsers on my computer:

1. Cleared the JAMA password I had saved. Now the browser will not automatically enter it (this change by itself did not cure the problem).

2. Cleared the browser cache.

3. Cleared all browsing history except passwords.

After completing all three of the above steps, the JAMA editor started working properly when using Chrome or Firefox. The problem persists in IE, but I use IE only when a web site requires it.

If the problem shows up again, I will clear the browsing history one item type at a time so that I can narrow down the cause.

• 46.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened

Posted 09-29-2015 19:06
    Tim, welcome to the Comminity. I am impressed by how meticulous you tried to debug this problem. By the way any item type with a rich text field will cause this problem.

• 47.  Re: "Warning: The HTML editor is not ready yet" / Defect editor fails almost every single time it's opened