Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Require user to include a Comment when changing a Specification ItemType

• 1.  Require user to include a Comment when changing a Specification ItemType

Posted 14 days ago
    Is there a way to force my users to enter a Comment whenever they change a Specification (or another specific ItemType)?

------------------------------
    Christopher Campbell

• 2.  RE: Require user to include a Comment when changing a Specification ItemType

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi Christopher,

I do not think so ... but it would be really useful (for me).
    Related to this, I would like a field to be become required in case of a status change (by workflow).

Best,
    Alessandro

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG

• 3.  RE: Require user to include a Comment when changing a Specification ItemType

Posted 10 days ago
    Alessandro,

That is a great idea! If you haven't done so already, it'd be a great post for Ideation. 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 4.  RE: Require user to include a Comment when changing a Specification ItemType

Posted 9 days ago
    Hi Decoteau,

already done long time ago : https://community.jamasoftware.com/product-ideas-suggest/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=f6043e1d-ac50-41bc-a695-534091ce6263
    It is written in a generic way : mapping between field values. This feature could be interpreted as a subcase of the feature request of the hyperlink above.

Best,
    Alessandro

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG

• 5.  RE: Require user to include a Comment when changing a Specification ItemType

Posted 10 days ago

Hi Christopher, 

There isn't a way to trigger a required comment due to a changed item type.

However, there might be some alternative solutions that could help you.

1: We had a use case where an Org needed their users to remember to file a defect that correlated to executed Test Runs. We added a "required" picklist field that pulled from a simple "yes/no" style picklist, like this:

You could use a required picklist to verify "Did you change this item" and another required text box to comment on what that change was. If they didn't do either, they could choose "No" and write in "N/A". Then if you needed to search for changed item types, you could filter for that picklist field that answered "Yes" to a change.

2: You could also consider a Workflow to either lock an item when it reaches a certain status to avoid any unwanted changes:
    Lock Items in a Workflow

I hope that helps! Reach out with any questions. 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR