Making fields required up on transitioning to a workflow state.

Sri Kolla
edited April 2018 in
We want to make certain fields required during a workflow state transition. Is there a way to achieve this? Various groups work on an item type during each work flow state. I don't want to make all the fields required during submit state, but as the item transition to diff states, they need to filled in. 

Thanks

Comments

• Carmen Santos
    edited April 2018
    Hi Sri,

This isn't something that can be done using workflow. As an alternative, workflow notification feature can be used to let an Admin know when a state is transitioned and manually set fields to required in each state.
  • Manel Moreno
    edited April 2018
    Hi Carmen,

This feature is something that we also need (in fact I noticed and reported it long time ago...). Items like bugs could be managed in complex life cycles and might be hundreds or thousands..Do you really think that an Admin could attend each state transition?
    If people is not obligated to fill specific fields in specific transition, the most probable is that some neglect happen and then the filters and reports will not contain all the items expected.

Tools should help us to manage automatically complex processes with minimum effort and avoiding human errors, and this one is a limitation that makes project responsibles using external tools to manage their workflows.

Thanks for your support!

Manel
  • Carmen Santos
    edited April 2018
    Hi Manel,

Based on your input, I will go ahead and turn this discussion into an Idea so it gets more traction.

Thanks!