Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Spell-check in RTE broken

• 1.  Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 05-02-2018 23:05
    Hi Folks,

It looks like the spell-checker in the RTE has been broken. It still identifies misspelt words with the familiar wiggly red line but right-clicking doesn't give me anything useful.

I've checked the behaviour in a couple of browsers - broken in both Chrome & Firefox.

------------------------------
    Ian Webb
    Enphase Energy, Inc.

• 2.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 05-03-2018 10:03
    Hi Ian,

I will check in with our Product team to get more information on this feature and I'll get back to you with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Carmen Santos
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 05-07-2018 08:04
    Hi Ian,

Following recent changes to the right-click behavior in the editor, customers now get the editor's context menu when right-clicking. To get the browser's context menu with the spellcheck suggestions, users need to do a Ctrl/Cmd + right-click, and the native menu will appear.

Best,

Carmen Santos
    Jama Software

• 4.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 05-20-2018 21:51
    Hi,

I dare say that the browsers right click menu is far more useful that the Jama Cut/Copy/Paste right click menu, something most users do via the keyboard.

thanks

Callum Davey

• 5.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 05-22-2018 11:45
    I agree, this new Ctrl+ right click is not very user friendly at all. All my teams complained and I keep having to remind folks to use Ctrl+ right click all the time as well.

Diana Berrios
    Alight

• 6.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 07-25-2018 17:58
    Hello Jama,

Please fix the spell check. The control-right click is not good for your users.

Thanks,
    Andy

Andrew Brown
    Galil Medical
    Arden Hills MN

• 7.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 10-19-2018 08:41
    We have recently upgraded our on-prem version of Jama and encountered this issue.  Has this been corrected in a later release?  The "Jama Connect User Guide" is miss leading as it provides incorrect information with regards to the spell checker functions.  This really should be fixed to function as the user guide explains, rather than the user guide updated to reflect this "new functionality".

Thank you.

Sean Keefe
    Jackson
    Lansing MI

• 8.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 30 days ago
    Sean,

Thank you for pointing out that our User Guide needs updating, we will make sure this happens so that there can be no more confusion. We made this purposeful change to the Rich Text Editor with the 8.25 release:

It was made to enhance the user experience with editing tables which is a core workflow particularly for many Jama users. The spell check is still there, just use 'cmd or ctrl + right-click'. Here is a link to the full notes, look at Jama Connect 8.25 Standard! It explains the functionality in more detail.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 9.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 28 days ago

I do understand that is the functionality currently.  This is confusing because on the same edit window, I can just do a simple right click on the name field and get the browser functionality, yet on the description window that same operation gives the editor's cut/copy/paste only options.  I think a better solution would be to make the editor's context window be the one that needs the CTRL+right click option and by default, the browser option always comes up first.  That way you don't lose either function and your users don't have to keep miss clicking on things.  No other tool we use here has a confusing option like that.

As an example, this is a test requirement from our sandbox region showing that the description field's right-click context menu differs from the name field (second image).  Again, these images display only the right-click context menu.  I've not held down CTRL in either field.

Description box defaults to editor's context menu

Name field defaults to browser context menu

Sean Keefe
    Jackson
    Lansing MI

• 10.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 27 days ago
    Sean:

Yes you are correct, the Name field is a text only field which defaults to the browser functionality. The Rich Text Description field has much more functionality to add: charts, links, diagrams, math and chemistry editor. We integrate CK Editor to these fields.

One option: if you find that you do not need these added functionalities of a RTE and just want to use the browser spell check, you can turn off the RTE in the controls within the item type. You would need to be an Org Admin and you would go to: Admin > Item Types > (go to the item type you are wanting to change) > click on "fields" > highlight "description" > click the pencil (you should get a pop-up edit window) > under "Text Component" change it to "Text Box". Then the Description area in that item type will work the same as the "Name" field.

Best, 

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 11.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 27 days ago
    I appreciate the suggestion.  I will run this by our users and see if this would be an acceptable compromise.

Thank you,

Sean Keefe
    Jackson
    Lansing MI

• 12.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 11 days ago
    Unfortunately, this is not a good solution.  When editing already existing requirements with the standard text editor, all the hidden HTML tags are shown.  This isn't what the users are looking for.

Sean Keefe
    Jackson
    Lansing MI

• 13.  RE: Spell-check in RTE broken

Posted 10 days ago
    Sean:

I am sorry to hear that. I searched through our Feature Requests and noticed that even though this thread is pretty busy, no one has made an official feature request out of this. I would invite you to make one in the Community Feature Requests, here is an article that describes our process

This will help our Community Manager and Product team gather use cases to better identify hot topics that need attention. It is best to outline the specific problem your organization is encountering because when we consider feature requests, we prioritize solving problems.

We will not respond individually to these feature requests with status updates or comments, however, you should expect to see a community post from our Product team after each planning session. We will work to keep you updated on what you should expect to see in Jama and how your feedback shapes the roadmap.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR