Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

• 1.  Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 01-14-2021 14:12
    Hi there!

Is there a way to record the system/UUT information like versions, configurations, etc. while executing a test case? Right now my work around is I create a table in the Description section of my test case of what information I want recorded, then I have a test step at the beginning of the test case to inform the tester to copy that table, paste it into the notes, then fill it in.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Thomas Thorne

• 2.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 01-14-2021 17:07
    Hi Thomas,

It sounds like you are currently copying/pasting that information when executing a Test Run. Is that correct? If so, you may consider adding a custom field to appear when executing a Test Run. This is a feature we added in Jama 8.53:

Configure custom fields to appear when executing a Test Run - Add fields to the Test Run item type to have access to them when executing a Test Run.

Example: Add a test field to capture the serial number for a product being tested.
    Let me know if you have any questions. 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 3.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 01-14-2021 23:44
    Let's celebrate with a big bottle of champagne, that this is FINALLY possible!!!

Anna Henke
    MeVis BreastCare GmbH & Co. KG

• 4.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 01-15-2021 08:27

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 01-15-2021 08:39
    @Anna - Yes! Let's celebrate!!

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 6.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 01-15-2021 13:47
    Thanks Decoteau!

That looks like it would work for what I need. Is there a way to insert a table into that custom field (like the description field) and have that table show up everytime the test is run? That way I wouldn't have to make a bunch of fields to capture all the data and they would all be in one place? If not I don't think it's a big deal to just have multiple custom fields grouped together to fill out.

Thomas Thorne

• 7.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 01-15-2021 18:16
    Hi Thomas,

Great! I think this will be a good fit for your needs. You could add a custom Text Box field and select Rich Text as its text component.

Note, you will still need to Insert Rich Text Template into this field when you execute the Test Run (it's not automatically filled in.)

If you have not already created a template for your table, you can do so by following these instructions: Adding Editor Template - Once it's built-in there, it's available to insert your template into a Rich Text field.

I hope that helps!

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 8.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 12 days ago
    Decoteau,
    Is it possible to create multiple Test Run Item Types, and assign them to different projects?

Kyoko
    Canon Information & Imaging Solutions, Inc.

• 9.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 11 days ago
    Edited by Decoteau 11 days ago
    Hi Kyoko,

Thanks for reaching out! Test Runs are unique item types that specifically live in the Test Center.

You won't be able to add Test Runs to a Project tree. You also won't be able to create a custom Test Run item type and have it behave the same way as a default/built-in Test Run.

May I ask what it is you're looking to do with your Project? Perhaps there is another solution that we can think of.

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 10.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 11 days ago
    Hi all,

that sounds like a feature request ;-)

Anyway,
    you can set up an advanced filter to get your item types from the Test Center in the item list view -> maybe it helps.

Best,

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG

• 11.  RE: Record System Info or Unit Under Test (UUT) Info While Executing Test Cases

Posted 10 days ago

We have many projects, and each project needs to recode totally different system info.

I want to tester to recode the info with a drop down rather than typing in a text field.

Kyoko
    Canon Information & Imaging Solutions, Inc.