Support

View Only
  • 1.  Deleting a Project - Cannot Reuse Project Key

Posted 05-26-2015 19:11
    If you delete a project the help specifies "...When a Project is deleted, Jama completely deletes all data in this project...". However i just deleted (not archived) a project and tried to reuse the Project Key and Jama informed me that the project key is already being used by the project i just deleted ?. I've tried the regular refresh tricks and also had another admin try to add the project with the same error. Is the old project gone or not ? i specifically deleted the project because i wanted to reuse the Project Key otherwise i would have changed the key and archived the old project ...

• 2.  Re: Deleting a Project - Cannot Reuse Project Key

Posted 05-26-2015 19:57
    The best way to look at this is, the deleted project is in limbo. The act of deleting a project will remove all traces of the project, so values such as project key can be reused. What isn't obvious is that actual project deletion doesn't occur immediately; it is a job that runs nightly.
    Sorry about the trick. Tomorrow you can reuse that key.

• 3.  Re: Deleting a Project - Cannot Reuse Project Key

Posted 03-11-2016 21:13
    Thanks Kristina for the explanation. Although I am puzzled why it has to be this way?

It's surely not advantageous to have the database be in limbo until a nightly cleanup?

• 4.  Re: Deleting a Project - Cannot Reuse Project Key

Posted 03-11-2016 21:52
    I am not sure why it was designed that way, although I can tell you the Jama application is a fan of nightly jobs. I'll see if I can track down an answer for you, Ed.

• 5.  Re: Deleting a Project - Cannot Reuse Project Key

Posted 03-17-2016 15:04
    Hi Ed! I don't have a definitive answer for you—as Jama has been developed over the years, particular design choices and the reasons why have departed with their makers. I think this one has to do with performance—the thought being all that is correlated with a project deletion can be memory-intensive, and with all the other memory-intensive actions (running exports, batch updates), anything that is not immediately pertinent to the user should be done at a time with traditionally low usage.

• 6.  RE: Re: Deleting a Project - Cannot Reuse Project Key

Posted 01-21-2022 09:12

Hi Kristina,

Is that the same case with Jama cloud? We are using Jama connect ( Cloud)  and I just deleted a project that was created using a wrong template and can't create new one with the same key. Just wanted to make sure if I wait a day, I can reuse the same key?

Thanks
    Sri

------------------------------
    Sri Kolla

Hill-Rom Clinical Workflow Solutions (CWS)

• 7.  RE: Re: Deleting a Project - Cannot Reuse Project Key

Posted 01-24-2022 21:43
    Hi Sri,

It is still true that there is a daily task that runs at midnight UTC which permanently deletes project data from the database when a project is deleted. Typically, that task needs to run first before item types associated with the project can be removed, and this is true for both Cloud and Standard versions -- I'm doing some testing to confirm that includes project keys, and will circle back here soon.

Carly Rossi // she/her
    Community Manager // Jama Software
    Portland, OR

• 8.  RE: Re: Deleting a Project - Cannot Reuse Project Key

Posted 01-25-2022 08:32
    Hi Sri, 

Good news, project keys are one of the item types that can be reused from a deleted project; the only qualifier is that the daily midnight task needs to run first for the key to become available. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Carly Rossi // she/her
    Community Manager // Jama Software
    Portland, OR