Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Sync Options control in Sync Items dialog

• 1.  Sync Options control in Sync Items dialog

Posted 20 days ago
    I'm seeing strange behavior with the 'Sync Options' control in the Sync Items dialog. The settings it displays don't seem to be correct, nor make any difference when synchronizing items. To try to explain:
    1. I have a component containing a number of sets of items, with relationships between them. I re-use this component, selecting the "Include related items and mirror relationships" option on the Reuse item(s) dialog (basic rules). I don't select the "Include all tags, attachments and links" option. Jama creates the new items with the correct relationships between the new items.
    2. I then add a new item to a set in the original component, including adding a new relationship from an existing item. 
    3. I open the Sync Items dialog, and select the original component. Jama informs that the component is out of sync. 
    4. I click "Compare" and Jama shows each item and its sync state. Jama identifies the new component and new relationship.
    5. I click on "Sync Options"; it shows the Reuse Options for both directions. Both show the "Do not synchronize relationships" option selected, and "Synchronize all Tags, Attachments and Links". Neither of these were selected when the component was re-used - why are they selected now?
    6. I cancel the dialog, and click "Sync All" to sync my changes into the destination component.
    7. Jama batch syncs all the items in the component. The new item is created in the destination component, and the new relationship.
    So what is going on with the "Sync Options" dialog? These settings don't seem to be valid. Further, if I change them, Jama allows me to commit the changes, but when I return to the dialog, it has reverted to the default I described above?
    Do you expect "Sync Options" to do something? Do we have a database configuration issue? Or do I have insufficient privileges (I don't have Re-use Admin privileges)?
    Thanks
    Peter

Jama Connect 8.49.0 On-Prem

------------------------------
    Peter Hall
    ON Semiconductor

• 2.  RE: Sync Options control in Sync Items dialog

Posted 14 days ago

Hi Peter,

Thanks for reaching out! I walked through this and recreated your workflow. I saw the same auto-selections that you saw in Step 5 and can confirm that you are not seeing them due to any settings or permissions on your end. 

From what I could tell, the actual the sync process worked successfully but your question is specifically pointed towards the auto-selection in Step 5. If that correct? 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 3.  RE: Sync Options control in Sync Items dialog

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi Decoteau,
    Yes, the sync process works successfully, but the Sync Options dialog (step 5) doesn't show the expected options. I'm asking what is the Sync Options dialog expected to show, and what is it supposed to configure? Because in my case above it appears to show the wrong settings and also, ignore any changes to those settings.
    Thanks
    Peter

Peter Hall
    ON Semiconductor

• 4.  RE: Sync Options control in Sync Items dialog

Posted 11 days ago
    Hi Peter,

Thank you for the update. I have been testing this out for a possible solution.

First, I wanted to confirm that I tried changing the sync behavior in an item type's relationship widget by turning this feature on but it did not change the auto-selected settings we have been discussing. This leads me to believe there is no admin or item setting that chooses those selected options. Here is the widget I am referring to:

Next, there is a way to save different compare view settings that I believe may help you. If you right-click your Component > View Synced Items > Compare these items then you can select the settings you want to see (including the Sync Options settings) and save the settings by selecting the lower right "Save Diff View" box. I ended up saving a couple of different views and was able to pull them up in the "Diff Views" menu on the left hand side. Each saved view brought up the settings that I saved.

See the image below for reference:

You can read more about configuring compare views here: Configure Compare View for Synchronized Items

I hope this helps! 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 5.  RE: Sync Options control in Sync Items dialog

Posted 8 days ago
    Hi Decoteau,
    Thanks, I think I understand this now! The Sync Options control configures the options only for the current Compare View, and it seems you have to save the Compare View to get those to persist. This is not obvious, and there is no discussion about this in the Sync Options help - maybe something could be added to make this clearer?

Related to this, the "Sync All" green arrow in the top-level Sync Items dialog behaves slightly differently. It opens a Sync Options dialog, but with only one-way settings, and no 'Save' option. Again, the sync options do not reflect the Re-use Options that were configured when the items were re-used. It's very confusing.

I've played around with the three sync option radio button settings and (in my test cases) I don't see any difference between the "Include relationships from the source selection" and the "Include related items and mirror relationships" options. Both seem to create newly-added items, and newly-added relationships. Please can you tell me the difference?

Thanks again for your help,
    Peter​

Peter Hall
    ON Semiconductor

• 6.  RE: Sync Options control in Sync Items dialog

Posted 5 days ago

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the feedback! I agree, saving those Config/Diff View options could be better explained in our User Guide. I will put in a request to expand on this documentation.

Next, regarding the Green Arrow "Sync All"/Sync Options dialog box. You are correct about there not being the same customizable and savable "views" as the Config Views. However, under the Sync All menu, you can go to Advanced tab and add a rule under reuse options. Once there, add a rule and, when that rule applies, it will appear under the Reuse selection menu. Please visit Sync options window for more information.

Finally, I want to provide more context to the difference between the "Include relationships from the source selection" and the "Include related items and mirror relationships" options. These can look the same to a person reusing, depending on how they have relationships made among the items: 

Select Reuse Options includes graphics to differentiate between "Include relationships from the source selection" and "Include related items and mirror relationships" options. 

In the above example, from source selection and destination selection, they are both related to C1 because B1 was. In this case C1 might be a shared Requirement between two separate projects, e.g. both the Electric Truck and the Electric Car share the same Battery Requirement.

In this second case, it is actually making a copy of C1 to add to the Destination, so rather than relate the two different items (B1 and B2) to a single item, they are related to the their own unique copies. You might want to do this in the case that you are using Source as a template project, and you want Destination project to have the same vehicle components, and then make changes going forward to each individual requirement because the car and truck should not have the same Battery Requirement.

As an abstract, it could seem like you're accomplishing the same thing with these options but if you play around with these examples in mind, it may help to make more sense of the differences.

Please let me know if you have any questions! 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 7.  RE: Sync Options control in Sync Items dialog

Posted 2 days ago
    Hi Decoteau,
    Thanks for your advice on the Sync All menu - using the Advanced tab to add a rule. However, I don't have 'Re-use Admin' privileges so I cannot access this. It seems wrong (to me) that the default synchronization options do not match the re-use options that we configured when the items were re-used. Is this intentional?

Thanks also for pointing me to the graphics on the Reuse Options dialog. I realize these are the same as the Synchronization options we're discussing - maybe the same graphics should appear in the Sync Options dialog?

Regarding the difference in functionality between "Include relationships from the source selection" and "Include related items and mirror relationships", I don't think these work the same way as they do in the Reuse Options case - or at least they clash with the original Reuse options. For example, if I add a new relationship from a re-used item to an existing re-used item, when I sync I see the equivalent relationship to the equivalent item in the re-used set. This occurs regardless of the "Include relationships from the source selection" or "Include related items and mirror relationships" Sync Options setting (noting that my original Reuse Option was "Include related items and mirror relationships").

It's very hard to explain this, but I do feel that there is somewhat of a conflict between the original Reuse Options and the subsequent Sync Options. However, I think for what I need, its working and I don't want to labor this any further!

Thanks again for you support!
    Peter

Peter Hall
    ON Semiconductor