Export does not consider the filtering criteria

Celeste Hong
edited March 2020 in
Hi,
I have selected a list of requirements under a parent FD to export, but the export function will always export all items to word or excel regardless the filter applied to the list view.
Below image shows that I have applied a filter to show only requirement type at the list. But export will include all other types including text and folder. How can I export only items show at the list view?

------------------------------
Celeste Hong

Comments

• Alex Frain
    edited March 2020
    Hi Celeste,

We are running v8.36,0 and noticed this as well.  You'll need to create a filter using Jama's Advanced Filter in order for exports to respect the filter results as opposed to the using basic Filter you referenced in your screenshot.

On a side note, we have a test instance running v8.42.1 and exports do appear to work as expected with the basic filters in this newer release.
    Alex
    Fujifilm Sonosite
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited March 2020
    Hello Celeste, Alex,

We are facing similar issue with 8.47 cloud version. Even when advance filter is created the Excel export contains much higher amount of items. In fact it exported items until Excel row limit was reached. I'm in touch with Jama support and they claim that our instance must be fully re-indexed.

I'm little bit skeptical but I give it a chance.
    Vlada
  • Celeste Hong
    edited March 2020
    Hi Alex, Vlada,

Thanks for responding. Advance Filter didn't work for me either.

Vlada, does re-indexing work for you? Please share.

Thanks.

Celeste Hong
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-05-2020 00:57
    Subject: Export does not consider the filtering criteria

Hello Celeste, Alex,

We are facing similar issue with 8.47 cloud version. Even when advance filter is created the Excel export contains much higher amount of items. In fact it exported items until Excel row limit was reached. I'm in touch with Jama support and they claim that our instance must be fully re-indexed.

I'm little bit skeptical but I give it a chance.

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-04-2020 11:42

Hi Celeste,

We are running v8.36,0 and noticed this as well.  You'll need to create a filter using Jama's Advanced Filter in order for exports to respect the filter results as opposed to the using basic Filter you referenced in your screenshot.

On a side note, we have a test instance running v8.42.1 and exports do appear to work as expected with the basic filters in this newer release.

Alex
    FujiFilm SonoSite

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-03-2020 07:58

Hi,
    I have selected a list of requirements under a parent FD to export, but the export function will always export all items to word or excel regardless the filter applied to the list view.
    Below image shows that I have applied a filter to show only requirement type at the list. But export will include all other types including text and folder. How can I export only items show at the list view?

Celeste Hong

• Vladimir Cech
    edited March 2020
    Hello Celeste,
    Unfortunately re-index did not help. I continue with Jama team in investigation.
    I also informed Jama team about this post. I hope that they will go in touch with you as well.

Vlada
    Vlada
  • Justin Phang
    Justin Phang Developer Support Engineer
    edited March 2020
    Hi Celeste,

I'm the one looking into Vlada's filter issue. Could you message me a screenshot of the filter being used or file a support ticket?
  • Anna Henke
    edited March 2020
    Noticing this thread I also gave it a try in our instance (On-Prem) with the following result:
    - Jama 8.36.4: Standard Excel export does not consider the aditional criteria
    - Jama 8.42.1: Standard Excel export exports only the filtered items
    Advanced filtering and exporting via standard excel export seems to work fine in both versions.

Assuming that Alex is onPrem as well (which I assume because of the version number), this confirms the observations.

The Release Notes for 8.42.1 even mention this bug:

SOS-DEF-633/SOS-BUG-802

List View filter facet does not filter out results when exported. 

Regards
    Anna

Anna Henke
    MeVis BreastCare GmbH & Co. KG
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-09-2020 18:16

Hi Celeste,

I'm the one looking into Vlada's filter issue. Could you message me a screenshot of the filter being used or file a support ticket?

Justin Phang
    Developer Support Engineer
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

Original Message:

Hi,

Celeste Hong

• Celeste Hong
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Anna for the confirmation.

PS: We are running on V8.31.1.

• Vladimir Cech
    edited March 2020
    Hello All,
    With Jama support we identified the problem in our case - when test cases are part of the filter during the export to Excel each test step is recorded as 1 row. It means that 1 test case with 10 test steps is presented as 10 rows in Excel.

Hope that this is fixed soon.

Vlada
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-10-2020 07:28

Celeste

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-10-2020 05:03

Noticing this thread I also gave it a try in our instance (On-Prem) with the following result:
    Advanced filtering and exporting via standard excel export seems to work fine in both versions.

Assuming that Alex is onPrem as well (which I assume because of the version number), this confirms the observations.

SOS-DEF-633/SOS-BUG-802

Regards
    Anna

Anna Henke

Original Message:

Hi Celeste,

Justin Phang
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

Original Message:

Hi,

Celeste Hong

Vlada
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited March 2020
    The problem that we face was labeled as expected behavior :-(
    Vlada
  • Chloe Elliott
    Chloe Elliott Product Team
    edited March 2020
    Hi Vlada! 

I think your Excel line item results are being salted because of the Test Steps. Try going into the List View of your Advanced Filter > Config Cog > and then uncheck the "Steps" from showing up in the List View.

Next, I would refresh the browser and then export to Excel

When I tested this in my instance I went from having about 30 Excel line items to just the 8 Test Cases I was filtering for. Depending on what kinds of items you might have in this filter, you might still have more to drill down... But, let's start here and see what the numbers look like. 

In my test it went from this:

To this:

Which was on par with my filter results. 

Vlada, let us know if this helps!

Best,
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited March 2020
    Thank you Chloe,

I appreciate that you stepped in to this problem and provided valuable information. Yes, when the Steps options is unchecked the export is working fine (one row for each item is exported).

I still consider this as a defect in Jama (more precisely said misleading logic and hidden functionality because it took nearly 3 weeks to find how Jama is working in this case).

When I see the list view it's possible to see only number of test steps but not step actions as it is in Excel export - see attached file. It means that more data are exported to the Excel than are visible in the list view and you are not possible to affect it (if the default Excel template is not changed or steps are unchecked). With unchecked Steps option also number of steps is not exported.

The best and easiest solution is to update default Excel export to export only in data visible in the list view (no hidden export of not presented columns)

What do you think? When Jama able to do update the template or perform a wider fix (e.g. a check box to explicitly allow export of test steps)?

Thank you

Vlada
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-11-2020 14:21

Hi Vlada!

I think your Excel line item results are being salted because of the Test Steps. Try going into the List View of your Advanced Filter > Config Cog > and then uncheck the "Steps" from showing up in the List View.

Next, I would refresh the browser and then export to Excel.

When I tested this in my instance I went from having about 30 Excel line items to just the 8 Test Cases I was filtering for. Depending on what kinds of items you might have in this filter, you might still have more to drill down... But, let's start here and see what the numbers look like.

In my test it went from this:

To this:

Which was on par with my filter results.

Vlada, let us know if this helps!

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-11-2020 01:58

The problem that we face was labeled as expected behavior :-(

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-11-2020 01:16

Hello All,
    With Jama support we identified the problem in our case - when test cases are part of the filter during the export to Excel each test step is recorded as 1 row. It means that 1 test case with 10 test steps is presented as 10 rows in Excel.

Hope that this is fixed soon.

Vlada

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-10-2020 07:28

Celeste

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-10-2020 05:03

SOS-DEF-633/SOS-BUG-802

Regards
    Anna

Anna Henke

Original Message:

Hi Celeste,

Justin Phang
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

Original Message:

Hi,

Celeste Hong

Vlada