Posted 06-01-2018 11:11
    After JAMA update to version

------------------------------
    Sawsan Abusharkh

• 2.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-01-2018 16:43
    Hi Sawsan,

Thanks for reaching out here regarding this Velocity report issue, that definitely sounds odd.  When I just attempted this myself, I wasn't able to reproduce it on my end.  However, it could just be that I'm missing something along the way or some of the specifics that you're encountering.

Would you mind sending over a screenshot as well as an example Velocity report where you're experiencing this?  All in all, the more information that you can provide, the better I'll be able to help.

Nick S
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-04-2018 04:17
    @Nick

Here is a screenshot of an example, where the requirement description has the "":

Here is the generated document:

Sawsan Abusharkh

• 4.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-04-2018 08:08
    Another Note, I have noticed this problem is when showing the text inside table cell.

Sawsan Abusharkh

• 5.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-04-2018 19:19
    Hello again Sawsan,

Thanks for those screenshots as well as that clarification around the tables portion.  Unfortunately, I'm still not able to reproduce this on my end.  Would you mind including the steps that you follow to create those question marks so that I can try to dig into this further?

Nick S
    Jama Software

• 6.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-06-2018 10:01
    @Nick

Actually I was trying to reproduce the same problem by
    1. copying the content of one requirement to a new one, to see how the special characters in the new requirement will be shown in the report, but strange behaviour occurred. The special characters in the original requirement were shown as "?", while for the new requirement were shown correctly.
    2. I did another try of duplicating the requirement where the special characters not generated correctly in the report, and the duplicated requirement has the same problem.
    3. I edit the content of the requirement but without removing the special character and save it, the problem resolved
    My point is it seems the moment  you edit the rich text in JAMA, it saves the content in new format (encoding).
    So it is enough to return to the requirements where "?" character is shown in the generated report, and do edit, do small changes (like adding new line and remove it).

has the RichText field bee modified lately?

Sawsan Abusharkh

• 7.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-07-2018 11:59
    @Sawsan

Thanks for that additional information.  Would you also be able to let me know which report you're using when this occurs as well as what format you're exporting into?  And is this also occurring for items ​that use those symbols that were created after the upgrade to 8.25?

Nick S
    Jama Software

• 8.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-08-2018 03:58
    @Nick

Would you also be able to let me know which report you're using when this occurs as well as what format you're exporting into?

type of report: Velocity report
    exported format: Word

And is this also occurring for items ​that use those symbols that were created after the upgrade to 8.25?
    No, the new requirements i have created with the same text of the older ones, don't have this problem.​

Sawsan Abusharkh

• 9.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-13-2018 18:37
    Hi Sawsan,

This issue has recently been escalated to my team in attempts to reproduce and we're looking into it. Thanks for your patience.

Justin Phang
    Developer Support Engineer
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 10.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-18-2018 17:07
    Hi Sawsan,

Thanks again for your patience. This issue was reproduced and it got filed as a defect, which will be tracked in our internal system as SOS-DEF-2655: Import/Export - Exports/Reports: Custom text box field for an item is not UTF-8 compatible for 8.25 after upgrade.

The workaround for this bug is to set the custom field text box to have rich text and assign it a template. Then navigate to the item and edit and save it.

Justin Phang
    Developer Support Engineer
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 11.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 06-22-2018 06:30
    @Justin thank you very much!​

Sawsan Abusharkh

• 12.  RE: Velocity generated report special characters

Posted 17 days ago
    Did you set your charset to UTF-8 in the velocity report? I had a similar issue and updated my meta tag in the HTML to the below. It is then able to interpret the – that is the "-" in jama to the appropriate word character.

"<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">"

Brian Keith