Expand all | Collapse all

PlantUML support

• 1.  PlantUML support

Posted 06-29-2015 16:20
    Does Jama support plantUML plugin ?

• 2.  Re: PlantUML support

Posted 06-29-2015 16:47
    Hi Sudha,

I am not with Jama so I don't know the answer to your question directly. Here are some comments, though.

From Wiki: "PlantUML is an open-source tool allowing users to create UML diagrams from a plain text language. The language of PlantUML is an example of a Application Specific Language.[3] It uses Graphviz software to layout its diagrams."

I assume your question has to do with being able to create a relationship diagram using Graphviz. It seems the current version of Jama does not support a direct export to PlantUML/Graphviz. At my company, someone happened to wrote an Excel VBA macro that takes the Jama export of a single record and finds all the downstream items and use Graphviz to generate a diagram in .PDF format. So I know theoretically a "plugin" is possible via Excel/VBA macro.

As you might know already, there are other ways to expose relationships within the Web UI, such as Coverage Explorer, Impact Analysis, and configure Explorer to shows relationships in tree. 

Good luck.

swoo

• 3.  Re: PlantUML support

Posted 06-29-2015 17:34
    You can patch the ckeditor in jama to support this. We hsve testet that. Works also with the latest Version, but do not use it in Produktion.

• 4.  RE: Re: PlantUML support

Posted 07-10-2017 05:48
    Hi Harald.

I tried this but after modifying
    /apps/contour/js/ckconfig/jamaConfig.js
    to include
    config.plugins += ',plantuml';
    and to add 'Plantuml' to the config.toolbar_Jama variable, i have the following problems:

1. The text input box for the PlantUML source text is only 2 lines in height.
    2. The PlantUML source is discarded (which is stored as "alt" tag of the image) as soon as the item is closed / saved and re-opened.

Did you have the same issues? Were you able to resolve these?

Kind regards

Hauke

------------------------------
    Hauke Wintjen
    Rimpl Consulting

• 5.  RE: Re: PlantUML support

Posted 07-10-2017 07:48
    Hi Hauke,

As you recognized it is not perfect. You can change the size by editing the plugin, but there are other issues you will find during use.

We have installed a local plantuml server in our company avoiding the exchange of UML information with a public service. The content of the UML is encoded in the URL and can be edited by pasting into the appropriate fields of Plantuml web GUI.

I would recommand that approach.

You can test the approach by using the PlantUML Web Server
    PlantUML.com remove preview
    PlantUML Web Server
    Create simply and freely UML diagrams from your browser thanks to PlantUML Web Server. Just enter a text diagram, and get the result in PNG or SVG format.
    View this on PlantUML.com >
    then you get an ulr to be used as image reference you can enter in source edit mode.

Harald

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Frequentis AG

• 6.  RE: Re: PlantUML support

Posted 07-10-2017 08:06
    Hi Harald.

Thanks for your quick response. Your approach seems to work also but comes with switching to "view HTML source" and then copying / pasting the html link in. Or did you find a better approach?

Kind regards
    Hauke

Hauke Wintjen
    Rimpl Consulting

• 7.  RE: Re: PlantUML support

Posted 07-11-2017 07:55
    have not found a better workaround till now.

Harald

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Frequentis AG

• 8.  Re: PlantUML support

Posted 06-29-2015 17:43
    HI Harald,

I think you are referring to this: http://plantuml.sourceforge.net/ckeditordemo.html  Thanks for the hints.

Hi Sudha,

However, I had thought that you want to export existing relationships to a report. If you want to draw diagram manually, might consider using Jama's built-in digram editor.

swoo

• 9.  Re: PlantUML support

Posted 06-29-2015 17:53
    Hi Sudha,

While not directly answering your question, another thought came to me. I know some people do their UML design and modeling with Enterprise Architecture. Jama does support a fee-based connector. The User Guide has a section on this topic. Good luck. 

swoo

• 10.  RE: PlantUML support

Posted 4 days ago
    We also are missing the similar PlantUML plugin than the confluence is having.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/41025/plantuml-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

Any possibilities that this kind of plugin could be supported someday in Jama also?

Päivi

Päivi Kaste
    Qvantel Oy
    Nokia
    +358504874847

• 11.  RE: PlantUML support

Posted 2 days ago
    Päivi:

Unfortunately the PlantUML is not currently supported, and I have not seen any plans to do so in the future.

You can make suggest a product idea in our Product Ideas community here.

Regards,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR