Review Center optimizations

Jonah Caplan
edited March 2020 in
This is a collection of gripes from various users after doing some signficant review work in Jama. Overall first time users are having a fairly positive experience in being able to target comments in more detail but there are some recurring paint points.
1) In a large review the page is constantly updating with the backend which can a frustratingly long time. Every time I accept an item it takes over 15 seconds for the page to update:

There should really be some caching and a refresh button similar to most other views. The 15 second time in itself is a bit frustrating even for initial page load.

2) A lot of actions trigger a reset in how the page looks, e.g. I'm in approver view, then I do something, now I'm back in moderator view, or the filter has disappeared, or I'm no longer in compare view, or all o the above.

3) the button to filter items should be for any version and not hard coded to the last version:

imagemaybe the last version I reviewed was v5... there's no way to see that list of items. Sometimes this is preferable over "needs review". Especially in compare view, I can see the diff but not filter out unchanged items.

4) Every new user is extremely confused about the difference between "reply" and "acknowledge" to close comments. The fact that the checkmark is only visible after you've clicked "acknowledge" hides it from new users that this "action" is different and has the effect of closing. Would be nice to have a button to "resolve" that is independent of leaving a comment, similar to gitlab/github etc.

5) The combination of #1 and #2 are worth calling out specifically when a user needs to flip back and forth frequently between the feedback and review views. Why aren't these tabs like in the main project view that I can flip without triggering a reload? Or If I am reading feedback and click on the item then it takes me to the single item view, then there's no way for me to get back to the same place in the feedback view and if I click 'back to review' then I get the 15 second load time.

6) Changing the set of items in a review. Sending individual items for review is very useful, unless you need to add another item. Workaround right now is to tag them, then create a filter for the tag, then send the filter for review. The backend should handle all that and just let me arbitrarily change the selection for what is being reviewed when publishing a new revision.

7) Let users control what fields they see in the review. That little gear icon in almost every other view is very useful!

Thanks!
Jonah Caplan
QNX

Comments

• Sven Schmidberger
    edited March 2020
    +1 to all 7 items
    May I add
    8) text highlighting should be visible in the single item view, that's where a moderator would initiate edits in a natural UX flow. With users only highlighting individual words that happen to repeat in the requirement (paragraph) it's impossible to pinpoint what the comment is in regards.
    (also the single item view has a highlight on/off button suggesting there should be highlighting)
  • Jonah Caplan
    edited March 2020
    9) Preview the diff before publishing a new revision
    Jonah Caplan
    QNX
  • Jonah Caplan
    edited March 2020
    10) disable deadlines for a review
    Jonah Caplan
    QNX
  • Christian Binard
    edited March 2020
    +1; Always preview, also at review creation before sending emails.
    And provide also a clear(er) warning when Review filter selects no item.
  • Jamie Wardlaw
    edited March 2020
    a possible 11) i've not a been able to identify a way to delete requirements during review. Is this possible? Or do you have to go back to the project interface to delete requirements the review team decided were superfluous?
  • Jonah Caplan
    edited April 2020
    12) paging for feedback with page size selection
    Jonah Caplan
    QNX
  • Jonah Caplan
    edited April 2020
    13) Search by project ID in TOC/Search view
    Jonah Caplan
    QNX
  • Jonah Caplan
    edited April 2020
    14. Provide a summary/description for the review that you can see at the top of the review, similar to gitlab/github/reviewboard etc. Most people don't read the email notifications, so  it would be useful having a place at the top of the review that can explain about the changes or maybe provide a link to a related report where it's much harder to miss.
    Jonah Caplan
    QNX