Jama Data Exchange v3.7.0 and DOORS Next

Options
Louis Huerta
Louis Huerta Member, Data Exchange Posts: 6
edited March 2022 in
Recently purchased the Jama Data Exchange app with the intent to swap ReqIF files with a subcontractor using DOORS Next. 

The ReqIF created by Jama DX partly works importing into DOORS Next.

Since, there is no URI support from JAMA DX all items and attributes are duplicated. When more than one thing with the same name is imported, DOORS Next does not recognize it as the same thing so it creates a new entry.  Say have two different sets/modules of requirements. DOORS will create a "rationale" attribute and a "rationale (DNG-duplicate-#)" attribute. It also happens if you import into Doors a second time for updates. Since you already have a Set created the identical Set in the update will generate a duplicate.

Researching into DOORS Next and ReqIF it is due to URIs not being defined for anything. A URI will denote if something is the same and DOORS Next will use the existing artifact type/attribute etc with the matching URI. I think all that would be needed is add the ability to create a URI for everything when creating the mapping file.

Additionally, Hierarchy of requirements and folders are not supported. If you have a requirements in a set with a requirement indented under another only the top requirement is imported without the others. This makes it where you have to flatten the requirements in a set to show up in the import to DOORS Next.

This pretty much makes Jama Data Exchange useless for trading data with a partner using DOORS Next.

I would appreciate help with any workarounds.

Is there any plan to update Jama Data Exchange for DOORS Next compatibility? If so, what is the timeframe?
Regards,
Louis Huerta

Texas

Comments

• Louis Huerta
    Louis Huerta Member, Data Exchange Posts: 6
    edited March 2022
    Options
    So I figured out a method to work a JAMA created ReqIf into a fresh DOORS Next 7.0. Was able to use folders to organize requirements items in sets, and conversation changes worked.

I had to collocate the items sets I wanted to be modules in a component. The items sets would turn into specifications in ReqIF and Modules once it reached DNext. Reason I had to collocate is that this was a fresh instance of DNext and to get the relationship links imported I needed to have both sides of the relationship in the ReqIf.

Created a new conversation so it will support future exchanges. Per user's guide I already created a round trip id field to support the conversation.

When creating the mapping in DX after setting Target Tool to IBM DOORS 9.6 I created unique ReqIf Attributes for anything not ReqIF.ChapterName or ReqIF.Text. For example, I wanted the Jama documentKey to exchanged so I made it Sid for my L1 requirement set I set documentKey as L1Rid, and for Folder I set it as L1Fid. I made L2 versions for the L2 requirement set. I did this for every attribute that did not have the DNG specific ReqIf.ChapterName.

I had to un check the "Include in Export" for the location.  If you do that the sets will not be modules, DNG will treat them as normal artifacts as it does requirements.

In DNG, I had issues with importing into a Component that had previous imports that had issues from my troubleshooting. I had to create a brand new Component.

I could import the ReqIF directly to the component or make a Folder in DNG. Folders appeared with requirements nested in the hierarchy and all links were imported.

I was able to make changes on the Jama side and using the same mapping and setting in DX. DNG updated all changes  successfully.

I have not tested going from DNG to Jama yet.

This was driving me crazy and wanted to share my workaround and what I learned to maybe help someone else. Will update the results from testing DNG to Jama.

Regards,
    Louis Huerta

Texas