Re-use Review Comments

Options
Cecilia Sabate
Cecilia Sabate Member, Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 23
edited March 2022 in
What is the best way to re-use Review comments?

Comments

• Alessandro Valli
    Alessandro Valli Member, Data Exchange, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI) Posts: 785
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Good question Cecilia,

I had a discussion with a colleague about this a few days ago.
    There are no REST API endpoints for reviews, thus you cannot do it on your own via script (you can only get the review's comments via GET /item/{id}/activities, as far as I know ... not sure whether this is a defect ...).
    In my understanding you cannot reuse a review in any way, thus you can only reopen an existing review. It is doable under certain conditions, but not really an option.

I think you can submit a feature request ...

Best,
    Alessandro
    Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG
  • Daniel March
    Daniel March Member, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI) Posts: 198
    edited March 2022
    Options

We aren't aware of any practical way to reuse or import comments.

The only option we are aware of is if it is a previous review that is simply re-opened - then the previous comments are available.

We are running into the need to maintain comments on items that are first reviewed in one project, later reused into another project, where new review is then started. Ideally the historical comments could be included both in the re-use and also in the new review. I am planning to write up an ideation entry covering this need.

Daniel
  • Jan Kastning
    Jan Kastning Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Why are review comments and item comments separated anyway? If I made a comment on an item to give more information/rationale I always have to copy them into the review for each item.
    For cases were different colleagues have discussions in the comment section of an item, additionally I would have to summarize the discussion.
    This is not feasible for large reviews.
  • Alessandro Valli
    Alessandro Valli Member, Data Exchange, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI) Posts: 785
    edited March 2022
    Options
    the answer is ... because it is designed that way :-( At the moment the two kind of comments are in separate database tables.
    I have the same issue. We have - partially - solved the issue by process. Item comments are informal ones, so to say. The review is formal and has to follow some rules and the review comments are the ones that get into a review protocol
    Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG
  • Alessandro Valli
    edited March 2022
    Options
    As the reuse is creating copies of items we need something like a "deep reuse" where you can additionally select comments, review comments, version, associated change requests, associated test runs (if of type test case), etc.
    Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG
  • Andrew MacCormack
    Andrew MacCormack Member, Jama Validation Kit (JVK) + Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 55
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Would be very much in favour of at least some GET endpoints for reviews, even if we can't write them. Sometimes we just need to collate all the comments ever on a set of objects and I don't know how to do that currently.
    Andrew MacCormack

LumiraDX
  • Andrew MacCormack
    Andrew MacCormack Member, Jama Validation Kit (JVK) + Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 55
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Just to follow up on my previous comment, I added a request for review API endpoints to Ideation: https://community.jamasoftware.com/product-ideas-suggest/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=b09bd37f-d3a5-4e99-abd0-0aed15019e26
    Andrew MacCormack

LumiraDX
  • Daniel March
    Daniel March Member, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI) Posts: 198
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I have written up this new idea proposing a multi-pronged solution to the comment reuse problem. Feel free comment either here or in the ideation area to suggest ways to make the idea better / closer to what you are looking for.
    Daniel