Project managers need ability to configure item types, pick lists, etc. for individual projects

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 19
edited August 2016 in
We are having the same question here.  Specifically, we have a request to allow a user the permission to configure a certain item type(s) or pick list(s) - but to allow this, would be to allow full admin access, which has it's risks.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Admin (Project level).

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Mary, I think we should branch your comment of into an Idea thread so that we can consider this as a feature. I'm curious, though, why a non-admin user would need to configure an item type or pick list. Are they managing a project that requires some project-specific values?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 19
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi Kristina,

This request is coming from our project test team who would like to be able to add pick list options and fields to their test case "real time". Those items are currently only used in the Testing Project within JAMA. I was looking to see if there was any way to accomodate them with out providing full blown Admin access.

Mary
  • Sudha Anand
    Sudha Anand Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi Kristina,

I would like to add that, the need for this is driven by the below mentioned use case  

7+ teams working on different projects and each team will need to manage the workflow, item types creations, user additions/deletions, pick list changes etc at the project level - so in our case, it makes more sense to provide one admin for each group who will manage multiple projects concurrently.  Since the org admin provide a global access, the risk is the visibility of org admin to cross functional project settings, which is not desired.  
    So, the need for project level admin is desired to  minimize the risk of access to global parameters between admins of  cross functional teams.  Hope that makes it more clear.

Sudha
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Mary and Sudha, thank you for the added context. Rather than allow a project manager access to edit an item type or pick list to, it sounds like what you really need is the ability to make item types, pick lists, other configurable things, etc. manageable and configurable on a project-by-project basis rather than global. I'm going to branch this part of the conversation into an Idea so that we can consider this. Thank you!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 70
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I understand the need for such a feature. However, if you think about implementing it, please do not allow the current project managers to adapt the "configurable things". Add a new permission type (read, edit, manage and (e.g.) administrate). I don't want that our project managers are able to adapt these things due to the fact that our projects shall use the same items and configurations to ensure reuseability. 

BR
    Sebastian
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    That makes sense!
  • Mike Donlon
    Mike Donlon Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2015
    Options
    FYI... we have the same need, and Sebastian's further detailed needs are well aligned with ours.

Thanks!
    Mike
    This is my signature; I hope you like it.
  • Nick Helsper
    Nick Helsper Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled delete item types.

Item Type Field Administration Improvement:

It would be great if it were possible to create, delete, and
    modify item type "fields" at the individual project level (with admin access).  

Currently, this may only be accomplished at the
    enterprise level.  So we end up with some fields in item types that we
    don't use in our project (this results in some clutter that could be cleaned up).  And we desire a few new item type fields, but find obtaining the buy in
    from the enterprise time consuming or difficult to obtain.

• Scott Holland
    Scott Holland Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We would like this too

We're finding that it's quite difficult to group items into categories in Jama. You can tag things but this feels too informal, so we ended up putting in three free text fields - category1,2,3. This means the user has to manually type the categories which is not great.

It would be good if we could set up an item type with a category pick list and then allow the project manager to manage their pick list options within the project (with different options for each project)

it would be even better if you supported multi level-pick lists :-)
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Harald Hotz-Behofsits Member Posts: 159
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It is possible to create single select value list being based on an itemtype. This is available for custom fields.

Multi-select is not supported, this has been a topic in the former support forum.
  • Scott Holland
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi Harold - can the options within the list differ depending on the project? We would like to have one item type (e.g. requirement) with a category select list where the options within that list are different for each project. I don't think that's possible? I would have to have multiple requirement item types, each with it's own category pick list
  • Nick Helsper
    Nick Helsper Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I agree, this flexibility is desirable at an individual project level vs. an enterprise level.
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Harald Hotz-Behofsits Member Posts: 159
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes, the list differs per project.
  • Scott Holland
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Harold, you have completely blown my mind! I can't believe I didn't know about that! Thank you so much.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi Harold, do you do this with the "item of type" custom field and a set of option items in the project? or is there another way?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 160
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I hear this request mostly from customers who have different products with different configuration options.  This is something we are researching for development later this year, so our UX team may reach out to some of you for more details on your needs.