Product Idea

Expand all | Collapse all

Adding tags to locked items

• 1.  Adding tags to locked items

Posted 04-04-2016 18:52
    When an item is locked by a workflow (ie Approved) the only way to add or delete a tag is to move it back to draft, adjust the tags and then re-lock it (reapprove it). This shows up in the history and when tagging a lot of items this can be tedious, Is there a way to configure locked items so it is possible to modify the tags without unlocking them?

• 2.  Re: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 04-04-2016 20:37
    Randy, there is no configuration available here. Tags cannot be added to locked items, regardless of the source of the lock (workflow or user lock). Tagging is considered an edit, for better or worse. Worse, in your case. I can change this question to an Idea so that we can consider making a change to how Jama functions.

• 3.  RE: Re: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 02-22-2017 02:47
    I'll add a +1 for this as a feature

In our case, teams want to to modify tags after approval to then create custom filters based on the tags. E.g. you might tag 'internal' vs 'customer' for visibility on what requirements you are willing to share or tag 'datasheet' for results you have chosen to publish.

This is especially important for automotive projects under ISO26262 as their process dictates that moving an item to approved needs a review cycle.  This means changing back to draft just to change a tag isn't feasible.

It may be that tags should be decided on a per project basis whether they go under revision control

Thanks

------------------------------
    Tim Kerby
    Principal Systems Engineer
    Analog Devices
    Edinburgh

• 4.  RE: Re: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-21-2019 23:35
    Hi Kristina, This option would also help us. We would prefer this as a configurable option, so that every project can decide, if they want to allow tags on the locked items or not.

Karthick Ponnuswamy
    Robert Bosch GmbH

• 5.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 01-22-2018 01:59
    Hi Randy, Kristina and Tim,

from our testing point of view it is also a big disadvantage to not being able to tag system-locked items. In contrast the system-lock itself would be a big possibility for us to help us staying focused on the items' workflow and also empowers the locked state.
    We would like to use the system-lock for released items, but also depend on additional tags afterwards for creating filtering (especially as the embedded filter got deprecated with JAMA 8). Randy's workaround is not feasible for us, as it would be cumbersome to perform multiple status change for each new filter needed.

@Kristina
    Please consider this as an idea or any other topic, as you mentioned, to leverage the change to how Jama functions.

Best regards,
    Christoph

• 6.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 01-22-2018 23:21
    Hi all,

I can fully support this feature request from our point of view (Hi Tim!). We would also love to add taggs to locked items!

This is really something which has come up quite a number of times. I do understand from a technical point of view it is an edit, but really than maybe there should by one more locked state (you already have two), which could cater to this need.

cheers,
    matt

Matt Heger
    Munich

• 7.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 01-24-2018 12:00
    YES! I'd add my +1 to this idea too!

Ian Webb
    Enphase Energy, Inc.

• 8.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 07-29-2019 04:53
    This kind of need has also raised in our environment.  Please consider enabling the functionality.

Anja
    Finland

• 9.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-01-2019 03:52

This function would be also very useful for us. So one more vote from us.

Lien

----

Gira Giersiepen GmbH & Co. KG

• 10.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-01-2019 05:20
    +1 also from my side

Alessandro

• 11.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-01-2019 07:12
    Hello,

This Idea seems to be getting a lot of traction lately! How are you currently utilizing our Tag function to categorize and organize your projects?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 12.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-02-2019 17:05
    More generically it would be great to have a check box when configuring item fields to not lock the field. Much like syncing or not syncing the field

Jeffrey

• 13.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-12-2019 00:17

Some of our usage of the Tag function

• Organizing the work on requirements among difference teams
    • Marking of issues which are required intention
    • Managing variants.

Lien

• 14.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-19-2019 12:16
    Lein and others:

Thank you for your input on how you use this functionality. Have any of you created any workarounds to take the place of this functionality you are asking for? This can be using Jama or another application.

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 15.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-16-2019 04:27

It makes sense to allow Tags changes on a locked item because Tags are not revision controlled.

Locking should have no impact on properties that are not revision controlled: locations, tags …

I support your Ideal, Jeffrey, but to keep it according to the rule above, I'd like to be able to configure fields as excluded from the revision control system and so from the lock.

Fields without revision control & lock would be an alternative to tags to define after-facts filters a more structured way.

Christian Binard
    ON semiconductor

• 16.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-19-2019 12:20
    Christian:

Enhancements to revision control would be considered a separate Product idea. Could you describe more on how you would utilize filters and fields (w/o version control & lock) to be an alternative to tag functionality?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 17.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-20-2019 01:14

Hi Chloe,

As use case, I'll refer you to Tim's Post (number 3)

"Teams want to modify tags after approval to then create custom filters based on the tags. E.g. you might tag 'internal' vs 'customer' for visibility on what requirements you are willing to share or tag 'datasheet' for results you have chosen to publish."

This would be a perfect match for fields w/o version control & lock: he knows upfront that a visibility field will be needed but he wants to lock his item before he has the visibility information.

I don't like the tags because anybody can create whatever tag so it needs a lot of discipline not to become a mess. Fields w/o version control & lock address that concern.

Christian Binard
    ON semiconductor
    Belgium

• 18.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 08-20-2019 01:18

I have also interest in fields w/o version control because I'd like to run automations that would populate some fields with information from related items (several levels below). This to build some Items' embedded summaries. Today, we create mini-reports to provide this overview but those need to be triggered manually each time.  Automation is today disregarded because this would generate uncontrolled number of Item versions.

Christian Binard
    ON semiconductor
    Belgium

• 19.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 01-22-2020 00:06
    Hi Chole,
    Is there any updates for this feature requests. As a workaround our teams are using comment function, which is really ugly. We want to use the tags after approval of the requirements for quick filtering to know if the requirements are derived on lower level or not yet.
    Locking an item by the workflow is a good function, but such a limitation makes us to think, if we want to lock the items by workflow.

Karthick Ponnuswamy
    Robert Bosch GmbH

• 20.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 01-22-2020 00:52
    This is exactly the same case with us. Now locking the items based on the state seems to be something we cannot use together with tagging.

Anja
    Finland

• 21.  RE: Adding tags to locked items

Posted 10-09-2020 13:57
    Any news on this?
    We really would like to have this feature in order manage variants

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG