[Deleted User] Posts: 70
edited September 2016 in
We are using different Set Keys for item IDs like
- MRS_REQ (Market Requirements)
- HRS_REQ (Hardware Requirements)
- SRS_REQ (Software Requirements)
- MRS_CON (Market Constraint)
etc.

to distinguish between requirements/constraints in different specification documents. Sometimes it is beneficial to filter for these set keys (or part of them, e.g. "MRS" to get requirements and constraints in MRS).

However, creating a filter using "ID contains word MRS" doesn't work, because the filter filters for a "complete word" (i.e. the complete ID) and doesn't check strings within a "word".

I have the same problem with the normal search function. You are able omit the project key to search for an ID ("REQ-1" instead of "Prj-REQ-1"), but you cannot omit the number.

Is it possible to make the filtering/searching on IDs more capable?

Regards,
Sebastian

I'm using JAMA 2014.2, on-prem with Chrome 43.0.2357.124 m.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 161
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi Sebastian,

As regard to your question, you might consider trying searching using a string like
                "first character of your Jama project" * "set name" *.

For example, if your project is "Prj" and your set key is "MRS_REQ" then use "P*MRS_REQ*"  

Jama seems to use a search engine that allows wild card character *. The reason for the first character of the project is because Jama's search engine may not allow searching for "*MRS_REQ*" Please give that a try. Good luck. Let me know if this works for you. Good luck.

swoo
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Bob, I agree with you that it's odd that Jama does not allow "*anything*" :-) 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Sebastian,

By the way, in case you missed this section in the Jama User Guide. There is a helpful section on search tips. Have a great day.

Search Query Tips

A query is broken up into terms and operators. There are two types of terms: Single Terms and Phrases.

•A Single Term is a single word such as "test" or "hello".

•A Phrase is a group of words surrounded by double quotes such as "hello dolly".

Multiple terms can be combined together with Boolean operators to form a more complex query (see below).

Search supports single and multiple character wildcard searches within single terms (not within phrase queries).

•To perform a single character wildcard search use the "?" symbol.

•To perform a multiple character wildcard search use the "*" symbol.

The single character wildcard search looks for terms that match that with the single character replaced. For example, to search for "text" or "test" you can use the search:

te?t

Multiple character wildcard searches looks for 0 or more characters. For example, to search for test, tests or tester, you can use the search:

test*

You can also use the wildcard searches in the middle of a term.

te*t

Note: You cannot use a * or ? symbol as the first character of a search.

AND, OR & NOT

Boolean operators allow terms to be combined through logic operators. Search supports AND, "+", OR, NOT and "-" as Boolean operators (Note: Boolean operators must be ALL CAPS).

OR - The OR operator is the default conjunction operator. This means that if there is no Boolean operator between two terms, the OR operator is used. The OR operator links two terms and finds a matching document if either of the terms exist in a document. This is equivalent to a union using sets. The symbol || can be used in place of the word OR.

To search for documents that contain either "jakarta apache" or just "jakarta" use the query:

"jakarta apache" Jakarta

or

"jakarta apache" OR jakarta

AND - The AND operator matches documents where both terms exist anywhere in the text of a single document. This is equivalent to an intersection using sets. The symbol && can be used in place of the word AND.

To search for documents that contain "jakarta apache" and "Apache Lucene" use the query:

"jakarta apache" AND "Apache Lucene"

+ The "+" or required operator requires that the term after the "+" symbol exist somewhere in the field of a single document.

To search for documents that must contain "jakarta" and may contain "lucene" use the query:

+jakarta lucene

NOT - The NOT operator excludes documents that contain the term after NOT. This is equivalent to a difference using sets. The symbol ! can be used in place of the word NOT.

To search for documents that contain "jakarta apache" but not "Apache Lucene" use the query:

"jakarta apache" NOT "Apache Lucene"

Note: The NOT operator cannot be used with just one term. For example, the following search will return no results:

NOT "jakarta apache"

- The "-" or prohibit operator excludes documents that contain the term after the "-" symbol.

To search for documents that contain "jakarta apache" but not "Apache Lucene" use the query:

"jakarta apache" -"Apache Lucene"

Searching Specific Fields

Search supports the ability to narrow the search to specific fields. For example to search only within the name field use the field name followed by ":" (no spaces).

To search for Items where the status pick list has the value of new.

priority:urgent

Note:  Jama currently expects the backend field name used to configure the Item Type such as description or lookup1.  If you need to search on specific fields contact your Administrator for a mapping of the backend field names to those that you see in the Item detail under Item Types (pictured below).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 160
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi Sebastian - the good news is that search and keyword filtering (within the new list view) are 2 areas we are adding some valuable new enhancements to. These enhancements will be a rolled out to our hosted environments very soon (I know you are on-premises, so you'll need to wait a little longer if you're not open to migrating to our hosted environment). You'll be able to use wildcards (in fact, we'll default them in for you) at the beginning or end. I just tested your specific scenario and it works beautifully. Once we have it 100% ready, I would love to set up a phone call to make sure it will meet your needs. That way, you can provide some feedback well before it's launched as part of our on-premises release. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 70
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Great answers!! Thanks a lot. That really helps for the moment.
    However, I'm waiting for the new solution... ;-)
    Another solution might be to add something like "that contains string" to the drop down menu...