View item's folder name in Grid View?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 12
edited September 2016 in
Is there a way to display an item's folder name along with the item in a grid view?

When using a hierarchy of sub-folders, if I view the top-most folder to see all items I lose the context of what folder each item is in. I have worked around this by adding a Context field to the item type, but then I have to edit the value.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi Jonathan! You probably figured this out, but there isn't a way to view the location of an item in List View. The only hierarchical signal you can enable in List View is the Heading.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 161
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Kristina is correct. However, at our company we have an expensive workaround involving a script that runs once a day to populate a folder path field.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. Are there plans to add such a feature?

I do have a workaround using a field and batch edit. The issue is remembering to update the data and training other users. It would certainly be better if this were built into the system.

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I had not noticed the Find Me option. That is great.

I am fine with the workarounds and tricks. They work for me. I am trying to get adoption from a wider user community and I know those users will not use the workarounds.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You said it, Bob. At its surface level Jama seems easy-to-use, but there enough complexities (and quirks) that it's hard to create help/tricks for the various tiers of users, let alone communicate workarounds.

Jonathan, I'm curious about the importance of location. Why does it matter what container an item lives in? (I think the reason this isn't a field/isn't emphasized in Jama is that we assume that context is provided via Relationships, not location.) I would appreciate knowing more about your use case...I know our UX team is working on categorization and taxonomy, so this is a fitting conversation to be having right now.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A folder hierarchy gives a default relationship for free. An item's home within a hierarchy is a form of relationship - I would say the primary relationship. A good hierarchy yields a lot of information with minimal effort.

Additional relationships (as built-into Jama) provide additional dimensions by relating to other structures and data types, but these relationships need to be created. 

In this case we did a story mapping exercise. The top folder is for the June story mapping exercise. Sub folders are created for each high-level topic with a set of items in each. This allows me to point users to a specific topic without using a filter or have a user responsible to refine each folder. But if someone looks at the parent folder or we run a review, the context of each item is lost. I could run a review of each folder, but that is extra overhead. Or what I have done is add a field to the type called "context" and then I do a batch edit. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 161
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Kristina, I agree with Jonathan. Another use case is when we allow enterprise re-use within the same project. We could have items that have the same golbalID that live in multiple configurations/folders. Having a folder path allows us to see the hierarchical relationship more easily.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Jonathan, thanks for spelling that out for me! It makes sense.

Swoo, good call. I hadn't thought about how hierarchal designations impact reuse.
  • Steven.Besser
    Steven.Besser Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I too would like to be able to have a "Location" item field in List View(s) that automatically populates to show the hierarchy of folder(s) where the item(s) are located.  Just like at the top of an individual Item (See highlighted below).

Example of Folder Hierarchy "Location"

In our case, the folder name(s) indicate the requirement Subsystem/Module/Component location. This location is very helpful when relating Tests to Requirements. 

It would make it so much easier to relate if the List View could show the Folder Hierarchy without having to open each item.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I end up making very long test case names that partially replicate the hierarchy. Otherwise, when executing a test cycle, I can't easily gather the related test cases so that I'm not jumping from one thing to another unrelated thing. So, this would be very helpful.